Thursday, March 4, 2010

What evidence?

NIH Director Francis Collins was just on the Diane Rehm Show on NPR, talking mostly about genetic testing and its benefits for medicine, and so on. Pretty sensible stuff. But then, the host asked about his religious belief. Collins replied that although he was an atheist as a graduate student, he decided at some point to pay attention to "spiritual" matters that he had been ignoring. I can't quote him exactly (I was driving to campus) but he gave the impression that he researched the question and came to the conclusion that the "evidence" (his word) pointed to the existence of god.

What I want to know is: exactly what "evidence" could he have found? Of course, the host did not ask; we are brainwashed into holding "people of faith" to be so fragile that they should not be challenged, poor things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and feedback are welcome, as long as they conform to normal standards of civility and decency. I will delete comments that do not meet these standards.

Word of the day

I know I'll get pummeled for this, but: I keep seeing children in Gaza being pulled, some dead, some alive, out of rubble created by bom...