Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ring in the new!

This just in: A very baby Garter Snake (genus Thamnophis) cornered by our fierce terrier, Tinker Belle, this morning in the backyard.  After the photo, it was relocated to a dog-free part of the yard.

Garter snakes are born live, so this little one probably has some siblings (and maybe even a mom) hanging around.

Garters are also mildly venomous, but they don't have fangs so they like to keep chewing when they bite something.  People's response to the venom varies, in my experience, from a mild itch (me) to something resembling an allergic reaction (our daughter).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and feedback are welcome, as long as they conform to normal standards of civility and decency. I will delete comments that do not meet these standards.

Word of the day

I know I'll get pummeled for this, but: I keep seeing children in Gaza being pulled, some dead, some alive, out of rubble created by bom...